Friday, October 14, 2011

Prescription and Medical Insurance Are Different

When customers bring their prescriptions to the pharmacy, I ask if they have insurance. Too many times the customer produces an insurance card, but it is their medical insurance card and that company does not cover the customer's prescription costs. Here is the scenario that too frequently plays out:


Me: "Do you have insurance?"
Customer: "Yes."
Me: "May I see your insurance card?"
*Customer hands me his insurance card that I proceed to look over*
Me: "Did they provide you with another card for your prescription coverage? This only covers your medical costs."
Customer: "No. That's the only card they sent me."


At this point I can do nothing for the customer other than to suggest calling their health benefits manager and find out which insurance company covers their prescriptions. The customer never enjoys hearing this and often it leads to yelling or statements such as, "<Different pharmacy> has always been able use this card!" No, the other pharmacy had no use of that medical card and they must have found the customer's prescription information through some other means.

The Solution

The best way to avoid this situation is through basic insurance card education. Insured individuals should always carry their insurance cards with them, but before cramming it into the wallet take a minute to read the information on the card. Generally the information will be presented in one of three ways.

Cigna Insurance Card



If the insurance company covers prescription costs along with the medical coverage the letters Rx will be printed somewhere on the card.



United Healthcare Insurance Card




 







Sometimes the insurance company does not cover prescriptions but prints the information of the company that does on the same card.


Caremark Insurance Card












Other times a different company handles the prescription coverage and in turn provides their own prescription card.






 



 Regardless of the insurance company, the pharmacy is looking for four pieces of information.
  • RxBin - the Bank Identification Number routes a claim towards the right insurance
  • RxPCN - the Processor Control Number further narrows the claim to the specific insurance
  • ID - the member's designated identification number
  • RxGrp - the prescription group number denotes which group plan the member ID falls under
With those four numbers the pharmacy can properly submit a claim to the right insurance. If the insurance card does not have Rx or RxBin somewhere on the card then the card most likely is not their prescription card and the customer needs to hunt that information down.

10 comments:

  1. I actually had no idea that there was a difference, and I may have ran into this problem once (I usually don't get prescribed medicine so it's never really an issue). I just checked out my own card and apparently I'm only covered for the medical insurance and not for medicine. Very neat info, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this was a very interesting and your blog kept me reading a lot that I want to know more. I never knew there was a different between Prescription and Medical Insurance. Now I know and will not make the same mistake. Also, I like how you show example with three picture insurance card, this helps alot.
    I know your blog will offer alot and looking I'm looking forward to your new post in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. read your post it is informative and it helped me a lot to know more about
    medical insurance plans
    Keep Updating about Health Insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sanjay working with insurance company as insurance adviser owing good knowledge of various policies offers individual health insurance, family floater health cover, extended health insurance and women specific critical health insurance, health Insurance policy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are giving the distinctive sorts of protection arrangements and giving the trust quality and administrations. Here are numerous arrangements identified with the Health Insurance, Medical Insurance, Cigna Insurance and Allianz Insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read.
    serve pharma

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was very interesting topic to cover and I find your explanation very easy to understand. Medical insurance is something that we all need. I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is certainly also a very good post that any of us absolutely beloved looking at. It may not be regular i always have the chances to view a little something. Pflegezusatzversicherung

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com . We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had morning, uncontrollable, diarrhea And Diabetes for almost a year now. Within 5-7 minutes after I wake up every morning, I have to hurry to the bathroom before all hell breaks loose. I try to get a cup of coffee before I head in, but sometimes 10 seconds can mean the difference whether I make it or not. I can only describe it as pouring mud out of a shovel. I can't stop it. Having had a colonoscopy, the doctor says nothing is wrong. He wouldn't say that if he were in my pants. Hinted at i.b.s. and prescribed Bentyl 3 times a day, due to anxiety, being an ongoing disorder I've had for years. No help,until i got to the internet for help and i found a testimony of Lewis Hall sharing testimony of how he was cured of this virus by a herbal doctor called Dr.successful and he left his web address so i clicked on the website and Dm him for help too, behold he show me love and share my pain with by giving me the herbal medicine which i make you of he gave me step by instructions on how to apply it, when i
    applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this deadly and shameful disease within
    three days of usage, words are not enough to thank you dr Dm https://web.facebook.com/Drsuccessful-109263294750359 He you can as well dm him on https://www.facebook.com/Priestsuccessful or https://wa.me/qr/UFTMANFGSLY4E1 you can also talk with him on drsuccesfulcuringhome@gmail.com I own you in return.

    ReplyDelete