Friday, October 14, 2011

First the Author

Welcome to Understand Pharmacy!
I wish I could disclose my personal information to you, but under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) I am not allowed to reveal my identity, who I work for, or any specific information pertaining to my customers. I will, however, say that I have worked as a pharmacy technician for a major chain pharmacy for over a year and continue to work full time. As a technician I continually learn the ins and outs of pharmacy which surprisingly has to do with much more than just filling a bottle with pills. Through the filling process, a handful of obstacles must be overcome from the point a customer drops off their prescription to point of sale. Too many obstacles result from a breakdown in communication or poor understanding and pharmacy education.

I do not aim to merely rant on this blog, but instead relay the all too common experiences that occur in the pharmacy and provide a means to alleviate the situation. These experiences will be provided as an example foundation to introduce a problem and provide a solution to the problem. Through this problem/solution scenario I aim to not only provide insights to what actually goes on behind the counter, but also improve future experiences of both the customers and pharmacy staff.



As a further disclaimer I do not aim to belittle any person or lay blame on either party involved in examples. My information will be based upon actual occurrences in the pharmacy and any further research necessary to provide a means to avoid such situations.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very informative! I know pharmacists would run into a lot of troublesome people, but I didn't know about the different kind of problems you guys have to face.

    I haven't had to order a prescription before, because my parents take care of the insurance and the doctor's notes and everything, but I feel like I've learned a lot just from skimming your posts.

    Thanks for all of the information!

    ReplyDelete